Welcome To The
Texas Youth Rodeo Association
THE TEXAS YOUTH RODEO ASSOCIATION (TYRA) 501 (C) (3) is a family oriented organization that strives to produce youth rodeos that support and promote the sport of youth rodeo throughout Texas. There were ten (10) scholarships awarded for the year, for a total of $13,500.00 for their continued education. In the past twelve years TYRA has given out 157 scholarships totaling $189,250.00.
TYRA PRESENTED THE YEAR END ALL AROUND CHAMPIONS – a briefcase with $5,000 and Kelly Slover Signature Buckle – there was a tie in the Sub Jr Boys and the board duplicated so they 7 of these out! (Due to Covid we could not get the trailers this year – with overwhelming response of this All Around award – TYRA will continue this award).
FLYING J SADDLERY Saddles were awarded to each Year End Event winner and each Final Event winner – also the Finals All Around in all age groups. Buckles were given 2nd through 6th in each event for the Year End winners.
The Tyra Directors for the 2022 Season Are:
- Steve Dollery, President
- Ross Ivey, President, Vice President
- Salena Harman, Secretary
- Juan Garcia, Treasury
- Chad Chandler, Board Member
- Amanda Gorham, Board Member
- Don Eller, Board Member
- Freddy Nieto, Board Member
- Dan Simpton, Board Member
- Austin Taylor, Board Member
- Ann Wentzel, Board Member
WE ARE REALLY EXCITED ABOUT 2022!
- New Events: Sub Jr Breakaway will count for Sub Jr All Arounds – Adding Jr. Boys Goat Tying, Ribbon Roping you will be able to Run once and Rope once in Jr and Sr (girls can rope – it will be all together boys and girls) – Coed teams.
- Rough Stock: Due to no participation in past couple of years we are doing away with rough stock.
- NEW JACK POT PAYOUT: WE ARE REALLY EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT WE WILL BE ADDING TO THE JACKPOT PAYOUT FOR THE FINALS!!!! Along with year end finals saddles for events and 6 all around briefcase with $5,000 buckles and 2nd-6yh year-end event winners, plus saddles to finals event champions!
- On Friday Night of the Finals (July 29, 2022): we will be having the annual scholarship dance, we encourage TYRA alumnae to PLEASE ATTEND – Mark your calendars now and spread the word.
- The TYRA Board: would like to thank the Parents and sponsors for their help and support throughout the year. Without you , TYRA success would not be possible! Thanks!!
- The TYRA Corporate Secretary: is Anne Dollery, if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact her at 979-412-2551 or any board member.
Rule Changes in 2022
- You may team rope twice the same way, example head twice or heel twice, but not switch ends – this is the only way we can continue offering courtesy runs (so you could enter once with a partner and your second run you could ask for courtesy or both runs you can ask for a courtesy)
- Goat tying – we will be changing the goat every 3 runs, if the horse crosses over the rope or goat, or if the contestant’s horse comes in contact with the goat or rope prior to the contestant signaling for time, a ten (10) second penalty will be assessed.
- Breakaway catch as catch can – the calf’s head must pass through the loop. The loop must draw up on any part of the calf’s body behind the head.
- TYRA in the raffle tickets will require that every contestants is required to sell $200 worth of raffle tickets all proceeds go back into prizes.
- TYRA will no longer participate in the jacket give away, and there will not be a buckle for the top seller – TYRA will continue in giving cash prizes to the 3 top sellers – 1 st - $300, 2nd - $200, 3rd - $100.
- Yearly memberships will be $100 per contestant .
- ADULT MEMBERSHIPS – will be available at $5.00 per adult. You asked we listened – with this membership you will be able to come to the annual meetings and vote – in the past it was just the clubs that could vote and we basically had no participation – WE WILL LISTEN!
- In case of tie with the YEAR END BRIEFCASE - we will break the tie with 1st , 2nd, 3rd, etc from the finals if we still cannot break we will flip – the one that does not get the briefcase will receive a saddle.
“HELPING YOUTH TODAY SO THAT THE SPORT OF RODEO AND AGRICULTURE CAN GROW TOMORROW.”
The TYRA has always understood that education is vital to the American agriculture industry. So an innovative TYRA Executive Committee began to think about encouraging its members to continue their interest in the sport of rodeo and agriculture by pursuing agricultural careers in college.
Therefore, the Texas Youth Rodeo Association Scholarship Fund was born. Each year our graduating seniors are awarded scholarships based on their academics, community service and essay. Our scholarships are represented currently by members in 15 colleges and universities throughout Texas.
TYRA recognizes that many young people and educators today come from urban backgrounds and have little knowledge of the opportunities available to them in the sport of rodeo and the world of agriculture. Our goal is to promote awareness of such programs.
TYRA has a rich tradition and history of stewardship to the community, agriculture industry and youth of Texas. With a clear vision of the future, a successful past and continual dedication from the TYRA and its members the TYRA will continue to be a pillar of strength and support to the youth of Texas.
The TYRA is committed to the betterment of the community and furthering the organization’s mission: “Helping Youth Today So That The Sport Of Rodeo and Agriculture Can Grow Tomorrow.”
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE AN OFFICIAL SPONSOR OF THE TYRA PLEASE CONTACT:Anne Dollery
P.O. Box 886,
Caldwell, TX 77836